Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Loving, Losing and Living

Thanks for tuning into KITT-FM, where it's all kittens, all the time. And now, broadcasting live from our studios in Purrbank, Cat-ifornia - heeeeeere's your hostess, Mother Catresa!

Hi folks,

I had to bring my beloved baby girl, Brita, back to the shelter on Sunday. There, she and her black sister, Babe, who finally was starting to warm up to me, are awaiting their spay surgery in a cage.

And their mom-mom, yours truly, longs to hold and comfort them. And she thus far largely has avoided going into the now-vacant kitten room at home, because it chokes her up. It's as if Brita and Babe will burst through the door when it's opened, and instead, it's empty.

I love all animals I foster, but Brita was something extra special. I totally fell in love with the grey and white beauty, whom I nursed to health from her frail, anorexic condition when she was only about six weeks old. Brita was one of the sweetest, most gentle and affectionate kittens I ever have had - if not, the sweetest. She just couldn't wait to cuddle up to me, and would start purring like a motorboat just when I walked in the room.

I wanted to adopt her so badly, but with four cats - three of which are "foster failures," and the other of which is an ailing senior - I'm just at my limit. Love doesn't always mean clinging at all costs; quite the contrary. In fact, truly loving - in a sacrificial way - sometimes involves setting the loved one free, if that's what is best for the person/cat, etc. Even though it may break your heart.

So, Brita, my sweet baby - I miss you and Babe so much. I am praying that God is preparing a home with people who will love you as much as I do. I will hold my adorable "smitten kitten" in my heart forever - and don't you ever forget yours, either.

Oh, Brita. You had me at "meow."

Oodles of love, hugs and kitty kisses,

Mother Catresa
Patrons Saint of Homeless Felines
(and the "smitten kitten")

No comments: